Monday, August 12, 2019

AMERICAN-NOIR INTRODUCES NEW WORK - WINTER 2019



         'I'm Never Always Anywhere' - 44 x 42 Acrylic on Canvas - 2019


Here is a preview of 10 new paintings scheduled for release this coming winter…

Things have been a little quiet on the blog front this year, as I've taken a temporary hiatus from Film Noir, the genre that has artistically defined me since 2011, to rekindle an old love affair with the experimental and revolutionary world of French and Italian New Wave Cinema.


Bing-watching my favourite films, tripping through 60's soundtracks, and indulging in the concept of auteur theory as painting, I've returned to my illustrative roots.  

Here you won't find any shadow figures, cryptic symbolism or cliche-shunning deportment, but rather just a cinephile exploring the artistic possibilities that envelop the emotive spontaneity and vibrant stylishness of Godard, Truffaut, Varda, Fellini, et al.

         'Paris Belongs to Me' - 48 x 45 - Acrylic on Canvas - 2019


I light a Gauloise bleu, before putting the finishing touches on Mastroianni's Persol shades.

I contemplate all that inspires me at the moment,

and I find my thoughts

drifting

far away

from the turbulent times

that define us.


"The film of tomorrow will not be directed by civil servants of the camera, but by artists for whom shooting a film constitutes a wonderful and thrilling adventure." - Francois Truffaut






0 comments:

Top